Sunday 4 March 2012

What Tapping Head Means in Indonesia

It is not my first time in Singapore, but it is my first time staying for longer time in Singapore, living in new place which has totally different language with my mother tongue.  Fully acknowledge that communication problems likely aroused, I landed at first week in Singapore right after finishing final exams in my home university. With all excitements and little bit worries, a lot of worries actually, I start my life here. 

As exchange student, I interact a lot with other international students because NUS conducts a lot of event which seems specially design for us. I’m getting know some friends from various country.  We hang out, discuss, and go to concert or just chit chat for hours spending time after meal in dining hall. Everything seems nice and fun. Until one day, a guy tapped my head.

I was so surprised. I was blank for moment. Curious, furious, displeased, all of those feelings mixed. I was speechless and had no idea what should I do. I kept asking how come a guy that I just know for week can tap my head easily while passing by, and acted as it was nothing? Then I realized, I’m not in one of 17.000 islands in Indonesia archipelago, and he is not Indonesian. He probably doesn’t know that touching or tapping someone’s head in Indonesia can cause gang fight.  Yes, Indonesian subjects head, human head, your head, as precious thing. We do not touch other person head easily. Of course joking around with your best friends or patting your closest one is exception. And tapping someone’s head who you know for less than a month, when you’re passing by is not one of exceptions.

I kept feeling uneasy by myself. As I mention before, I just worry my lack in English will trouble me here. Communication problems, not intercultural ones. Since I wear hijab (jilbab in Indonesia, tudung in Malay), I do prepare myself for worst possibilities when I interact with other international students. But this kind of differences such us tapping head is out of my worrisome.  I do not prepare for such intercultural clash. I’m surprised differences can affect me so much. 

Well, I can’t feel uneasy by myself. I want to clarify this problem, ask him directly and tell him nicely. But, next time I saw him, we just met, passing by. Like usual, we greeted each other. And again, I got another tap in my head. Just like previous time, I lost my self for moment. But then suddenly I realized, he did it as greeting. Still felt uncertain, I asked another friend who comes from same country as him. My guess was wrong, she told me tapping head means blessing. But, they do not do that as habit. 

Now I’m relieved. I fully realize that people act differently because they grow up and live in different background. But it’s funny that I still kept feeling uneasy though I acknowledge those differences. I’m also thankful for my blind spot in expressing my self. If I reacted at the time he tapped my head, we probably are not friends anymore. I learn to put more effort in acknowledging differences now. Well, my life here getting more and more interesting.

11 comments:

  1. Hey Fiza, its cool to know the perspective of an exchange student on cultural differences. Every country has their own unique difference and this tapping head incident you experience is probably jut one of the conflicting cultures you'll experience in Singapore. I think the idea is to be open minded and receptive to the practice. Where they clash with your religious or personal believes that you feel as uncompromisable, just be frank and tell them your predicament. Singaporeans are generally accepting and accommodating. Glad you blend well with the class! Enjoy the rest of your stay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Leon,

      Haha, true.. I think i need to be more open minded. And yes, i get a lot of helps from friends here, especially local students. They are very very friendly. One more Leon, please feel free to tell me if i cross Singaporean culture line :)

      Delete
  2. Oh my Fiza!! I didnt know tapping someone's head is a taboo in your country!! wa luckily i did not do that or else you are going to beat me up! Anyway just being curious, the point about the person tapping your head as a blessing, which country was him or her from?

    Anyway from the presentation Jo and Alvin made, I can see you are quite surprised and puzzled with some of our cultures too. But i can see you are having lots of fun here. If you any queries regarding the singaporean culture, you can always look for team Fizahuilegang. we are your Singapore gang!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my god, now i have gang here? haha. Yes, I do have fun here. More and more days i stay here, I find my self enjoying more and more interesting life.
      About tapping head, I think it's ok since I consider our team as close friend already. Moreover, I think Singaporean have quite similar personal space with Indonesian. :)

      Delete
  3. Hello Fiza,

    It is really refreshing to hear from your perspective about head tapping, where this is not exactly a taboo (but I wouldn't like to experience it myself haha). I didn't know that NUS does conduct so many activities for international students, but I believe these must have been great opportunities for you to mingle around and make new friends of various hometowns and cultures! :D

    You're definitely a very understanding lady as you didn't outrightly condemn the guy who tapped your head, but sought for clarification with another friend. I'm sure with more exposure to different cultures, you will be able to understand more about how different cultures act to bring across the same point. For one, I think different cultures do have different handsigns of representing numbers from 1-10 with our fingers!

    Thank you for your sharing and I hope your stay in Singapore will be a very pleasant one! (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi candice!

      Thank you for read my page :)
      Yup, NUS sets several events that help international students adapt here. It is fun and interesting. But I do think international students need more medium to interact with local students. Because some classes and tutorial probably do not help much in making friends with local friends. I am considered my self lucky i get good friends from this class. :)

      Delete
  4. Hey Fiza,

    The head tapping thing is something particularly interesting for me especially since its a taboo for so many of Singapore's neighbouring countries (Go check out Terence's post if you have time(http://iamwalkingthroughlife.blogspot.com/)).

    But I think that whether the head tapping thing is an insult or not isn't a universal thing in Singapore. In your case, I suspect it was more playful then anything but I've seen fights break out among some soldiers when I was in the army. While it wasn't caused by the head tapping per se, that was what set the fight off.

    In any case, I reckon you handled it pretty well. I personally feel that keeping one's hands to oneself is a sure fire way of avoiding any misunderstandings. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

    Cheers,
    G.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Govin,

      Thank you to recommend me terrence post. Very interesting to hear another point of view about tipping head.

      Yup, I think i need to act more carefully next time and be more flexible. I'm not sure i can be cool if i were in your shoes, refer to your Germany's experience. Thanks for sharing :)

      Delete
  5. Hey Fiza!

    I didn't know that head tapping could be offensive to Indonesians! I'm lucky that I haven't extend this playful gesture(like what Govin) mentioned to you yet! Please do tell our team if you have any discomforts! I was commenting on Candice's blog that you are doing fine integrating to our Singapore culture. Learning "Singlish" and ending sentences with a deliberate "lor" and "lar" are just the few ways to adapt.

    I hope you'll enjoy the rest of your stay! see you around!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Fiza,

    Gosh! I didn't know that tapping on the head of Muslims is offensive. I only knew that rule applied to the Thais. Nevertheless, it's good to hear that you accommodated a foreigner's culture of tapping the head though you felt uneasy. Curious though, where does your friend come from?

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Fiza!

    I had a cultural shock when you mentioned that a tapping one’s head is taboo in your country, and that it means giving blessings for the exchange student! One action can mean so many things in different parts of the world. In Singapore, I supposed tapping someone’s head is just an act of playfulness to disturb someone whom you are quite close to. Thank you for enlightening us on your culture. I’m just curious, may I enquire on which country did the exchange student come from?

    Well, you should read at Govin’s post on his exchange to Germany. If you happen to travel to Europe for some cultural exchange, you might want to tell them right at the first meeting that your culture do not allow the hugging and kissing of opposite gender to avoid any misunderstandings and uneasiness.

    Lastly, I applauded your courage and patience in trying to understand another’s culture even though you were obviously very affected and insulted by the incident. I would encourage you to voice out your unhappiness if you ever encounter similar situations again, as it will be of help to the other party in better understanding your culture.

    Cheers
    Chris

    ReplyDelete