Tuesday 10 April 2012

Reflection on Oral Presentation

Delivering persuasive convincing speech, an english one, is huge challenge for me. Doing it in my mother tongue is pretty nerve wracking already. Doing it in english is indescribable. Fully aware of my english, this oral presentation session worried me a lot. I know there is huge hole in my english. I need to work more on it, especially for my grammar and pronunciation.   
   
My team and I managed to finalized our proposal presentation in very last time. We arrived earlier at school to rehears couple time as group. I thought the rehearse time was not bad, since every member already prepared them self. However, I was still worry especially for my pronunciation and presentation time. Due to amount of information that i need to deliver, I did not make it in 5 minutes during my self rehearse.

Then, my time was coming. I think I stammered and nervous in first minute. Fortunately it was not last long because I am familiar with the audience. I also over repeated several word which could lead overemphasize my point. But, I still managed to deliver necessary point though it was not in persuasive fashion yet. I tried to engage audience by asking some questions. I tried to keep my tone and speed, not very slow or too fast. I made eye contact and used some gestures. Apparently, my nervousness drove me to over move during my presentation. Keep moving could distract my audience. Furthermore, as what I predicted before, I fell short in pronunciation and grammar which probably could make my audience feel confused or even annoyed.

For the questions and answers session, I think my team did good job. Because we spent a lot of time to think critically in our proposal. Due to a lot of effort we put on this proposal,  most of questions aroused were predictable. We already figured out the answers. However, tt would be great if we managed the allocation, who will answer each questions. 

I did manage my time to rehearse a lot personally for my part. It makes me do not regret my performance. However, there are a lot of space need to be improved in my oral presentation. This experience makes me realize the importance of public speaking skill. I feel thankful for this oral presentation. I know where I should begin to improve my skill. Lastly, thanks for my team for always encourage and support me!
      

5 comments:

  1. Hey Fiza,

    I know your team had very limited time to prepare for the oral presentation. But nevertheless, I must say that I am very impressed with yours and your team's presentation!

    I think you appeared generally rather composed and systematic in your delivery. And there is definitely improvement from your peer teaching where you bite your words pretty clearly this time round! The visual aids for yours were very helpful too.

    However, I thought that your body language was rather reserved i.e. kept to yourself. Such as like your hand movements were not very big as your elbow was constantly kept close to your body. I thought if your gestures were a little bigger, it would have been better.

    Overall I think you (and your team) has put in a lot of effort! I believe you can and will take home many useful tips and theories on communicating professionally from this module! See you for Thursday's lesson yeah! (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Candice,

      Thank you for the comments. I'll take note for it. Thanks!! :)
      See you on Thurs :)

      Delete
  2. Hi Fiza,

    I can totally relate to your experience! I had to do a presentation in Germany in German. It was nothing short of a disaster. Yours was infinitely better. The content was delivered clearly and systematically. Also the slides were quite useful to visualize what you were explaining.

    Perhaps like Candice said, more expressions and gestures might have helped a bit? But overall, still a good show.

    Cheers,
    G-Man

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Govin!

      Thanks. I'll put more effort on it :)
      See you on Thurs too :)

      Delete
  3. Hey Fiza!

    We've come a long way since the start of the project! It was really great to have you in the team and those moments of fun and laughter together are really memorable! I thought you performed so much better than in peer teaching too. The delivery was clear and you made use of the graphic presentation well!

    Thank you giving me encouragements along the way and see you in class tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete